Monday, March 10, 2008

The First 3 Months


Here are the ladies at 9 weeks and in their Halloween costumes.







Let's just say that the first 3 months of having twins is fairly challenging to put it nicely. Between the doctor's appointments, hormones, and getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night we were running on empty. I have always heard that it was difficult to adjust after having a baby, but now we had two! We had twice the diapers, twice the feedings, twice the baths...everything. We finally got the girls on the same schedule and feedings became much easier. I was having to feed them every 3 hours for the first 8 weeks since they were so small. My life revolved around feeding the girls and catching an hour nap in between feeds. I was haggard and in serious need of 8 hours of uniterrupted sleep. Thank goodness the first 3 months fly by...mostly in a haze of confusion and exhaustion.

With the difficulties of the first 3 months also came some wonderful rewards. The girls started to recognize and react to our voices. They began focusing on objects and we were blessed with a few smiles. Then by some divine intervention both of the girls began sleeping a full 9-10 hours at night. The angels sung and the heavens opened up, and I slept. Oh blissful sleep, wonderful sleep. It wasn't until I got a full nights sleep that I was able to fully enjoy my children. It's amazing what a fresh mind will do!

As if dealing with infant twins weren't enough, Jason and I decided that it was time to purchase our first home. We really needed a lot more room and the housing market had just turned in our favor. Life seems to be falling into place. After searching for a couple of months we found a great 5br/2 1/2 bath home with more than enough space for us to grow into. Then came the challenge of packing and moving with twins. I decided that I wanted to paint a few rooms before we moved in. I have never painted a room before (gasp) and I wanted to make the home feel more like ours. Was I ambitious? Uh, yeah and a little crazy. I toted the girls to the new house and tested colors. Luckily I tested the colors where our new fridge was going because I never got around to painting. Perhaps that will be a Spring project for me. We were in our new home by Halloween! We love it and now we have plenty of room for all the stuff babies must have. If you didn't know, babies require lots of stuff. And when you have more than one baby that just means more stuff.


No comments: