Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hmmmm Biter Biscuits

Well, this week hasn't been terribly exciting. Jill is still army crawling everywhere. Kate loves to roll around in the nursery. Kate has even started to crawl around in her crib (like a caged animal) when she gets bored. I had to lower the mattress in their cribs when I caught Jill on her knees holding on to the rails.

A month ago I removed the bumper pads and they had a serious problem sleeping. They like to look around, talk, squeal, and "one up" each other. "See I can crawl." "Oh yeah, I can squeal and get on my knees to look at you." So after several sleepless naps, I gave in and the bumper pads went back in the cribs. It somewhat obstructs their views from each other...unless your name is Jill. She likes to pull down the bumper pads, untie them, chew on the ribbon, and try to sneak a peak at her sister. I know that in the next month or so I will have to take them out completely. I am preparing myself mentally.

I try to get the girls out of the house at least twice a week. It is difficult with one baby, now imagine two. My mom used to say, "It takes an act of Congress to get you girls out of the house!" Unfortunately, I now know EXACTLY what she means. Just as we are about to go out the door and the girls are in their car seats, one of them usually poops. It never fails. So out she goes, get a new diaper, and back in the seat. Yesterday we went to the grocery store and Kate sat in the cart all by herself like a big girl. Jill was strapped to me in the Bjorn carrier. I am sure we were a sight to see. I am not sure if we will do that again because pushing them in the stroller and pulling a cart behind is easier for me. That way my hands are free to sift through coupons, replace pacifiers, and inspect ingredients to everything that enters the cart. Yes, I am a label reader. Especially now that I am feeding babies. Have you seen some of the ingredients in baby food??! Scary is all I have to say.

As a mother of twins, going anywhere is a spectacle. People stare into the stroller as if 8 clowns are going to crawl out of the buggy and start juggling. I stand there waiting for the big top music to play. We get all sorts of comments, most of them nice. We have had a few comments that left me seething, but people are people and I can't change their miserable outlook on life. I usually answer back with, "God has blessed me with 2 babies for a reason and we adore them." What irritates me the most is when people make comments about using fertility treatments and having multiples. First of all Mr. or Mrs. Stranger, it is NONE of your business if we used fertility (we didn't). Second of all, I have MANY friends that have used fertility and my heart and prayers are with them. My heart breaks with theirs every time a negative test comes back, and when a positive one is heard, we rejoice. Simple as that. I understand the stress of trying to get pregnant and the sadness when you aren't. I suppose people just feel the need to express their opinions whether or not I agree with them. Ok, I am off my soap box now.

This week we tried biter biscuits and little graduate finger food stars that "melt in your mouth". If you know me, you know that I get anxious when there is a mess. With babies, you have to put your crazy cleaning aside and let them be babies. Easier said than done! Both of the girls LOVED the biscuits. In fact they loved them so much they wore them...in the hair, under the nails, on the clothes, etc. They weren't real sure what to do with the stars. Jill collected a few wet ones in her hands and proceeded to squish them and smear them around. Fun Fun Fun!

Some funny points of the week! Both of them have started wrinkling their nose and "snort laugh". That really is the only way to describe it. It is adorable, and not just because they are my kids, but it really is funny. We are getting a video camera soon so I will capture it and post a short video.








No comments: