Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mommy Moment

Oh my GAWD! I have become my mom! I would have shuddered at the thought as a pre-teen, even more mortified as a teen.

But why not? She is the woman that shapes her children. Molds them into the people they are today. She is your shoulder to cry on, your best cheerleader when days are rough, and the toughest fighter to protect you. She has taught me right from wrong, even when I didn't listen to her. She taught me to respect others. She showed me compassion and willingness to view the world from a different perspective. She taught me friendship and how to nurture and care for it. But most of all she taught me love. To love someone without conditions. To love without end. To love someone with warts and all because this is the way God made us. Who are we to judge? Just show them love and kindness will be rewarded. I cannot say enough great things about my mother. She is loving and kind, smart and sweet. A perfect combination for a true mother. I owe you the world mom. I love you endlessly and always will.

Why would I EVER NOT want to be like that? I fully accept it as an adult. I am my mom. I can shout it from the rooftops - I AM MY MOM! No shuddering, no jerking with shame. Just excitement filled with courage - knowing she is the one who shaped me to be the woman and mom I am today. Thank you Betty Lou - I love you!

Oh and mom, you gave me a great sense of humor. I can't wait for the day when I tell my teenage girls, "One day you will be just LIKE ME!" I will roll with laughter at the puking and gagging sounds they make. Because in the end, they will be the adult that I shape them to be. And hopefully they will thank me.

No comments: